I started facing acne issue after my teens (hormonal kick I guess) and I was never serious about treating them. I always thought acne are meant to come and then go, leaving marks behind. But gradually I realized that taking good care of your skin & using proper skincare products can not only keep acne at bay but also reduce acne pigmentation. After many trials and errors, I’ve created a routine for myself which has proved very much beneficial to me. Sharing with you all my skincare routine for acne prone skin.
I shall be jotting down steps and give product recommendations side by side. Also, there are some tips hidden. So make sure you stay with me till the end! (alert: irksome acne pics ahead!) Products marked in blue are clickable links to their respective review posts.
1. Makeup removal: Whether you use makeup or not, I highly recommend you use a cleansing balm/oil to melt down all dirt, grime, sebum and deeply cleanse the skin. My fav: Banilla Co. cleansing balm.
2. Facewash: It is extremely essential to use a low pH cleanser (below pH level 6) to keep the acid mantle of the skin unharmed. My favs: Cipla Saslic facewash, Vya naturals Vit C facewash.
3. Toning: Though just an added step, toning helps in removing those pesky little grime particles which otherwise might end up clogging pores. I suggest you use an AHA based toner in the evening which will provide mild exfoliation as well. My favs: Tvakh exfoliating water, The Ordinary 7% glycolic toning solution.
Hydration is the key to keep your skin soft and supple. And in the process of drying up acne, we end up drying our skin as well. Hence after cleansing, it is time to replenish the skin with as much hydration as possible.
4. Essence: (optional) These are almost water-like, hence can easily be layered up. Also, adding a layer of hydration harmed no one. My fav: Vya Naturals Vitamin C serum.
5. Serum/Emulsion: (optional) I never skip this step. There are times when I’ve skipped a moisturizer but never a serum. These add so much hydration without clogging the pores, when chosen wisely. My fav: It’s Skin clinical solution AC emulsion, It’s Skin PO effector serum, Innisfree Green Tea balancing lotion, The Ordinary niacinamide.
6. Moisturizer: (optional when 4 & 5 are used) The last and final step in a skincare routine. I prefer mild ones for daytime & heavy duty moisturizing ones for night time. These can also be skipped if enough moisturizing emulsions are used.
My favs: (AM) Loreal revitalift Laser X3 day cream, Apieu Madeccassoside gel cream, Pyunkang Yul moisture cream. (PM) Plum green tea renewed clarity night gel (when mixed with oils), Skin&Lab barrierderm intensive cream.
Some tips to dry out the acne/pimples fast:
- Use a clay mask as a spot treatment, only over the affected area. It will dry it out. My fav: ENN AC NAY anti-acne face mask.
- Never use physical scrubs on acne prone skin (you wouldn’t want to rub a wound with a coarse product, right?) Try chemical peels and you’ll never look back to physical scrubs. My fav: Innisfree peeling wine jelly softener, The Ordinary AHA 20% + BHA 2% peeling solution.
- Use Pond’s pimple clearing gel as a leave on spot treatment. It clears pimples by removing the bacteria from pore level.
- Use green tea mist. Currently, I am loving Innisfree green tea mist.
- Always use a sunscreen during the daytime. It looks as if sunscreen is a solution to all skin problems. My fav: Tvakh super AM sunscreen spray, Aroma magic aloe vera sunscreen gel.
- Use Tamanu oil to get rid of the pigmentation left behind, quickly.
- No physical scrub
- No applying of Colgate over acne
- Don’t apply tea tree oil directly over acne. Too much of it can cause extreme dryness.
Phew! These were the tips & products that helped me get rid of my acne and improve my skin texture. I still break out from time to time but that’s totally manageable and normal. It’s never too late to start taking care of our skin. If you need an individual post on any topic, do let me know! Would love to make one for you.
Until next time, stay beautiful & keep smiling!
You can also find Makeup & Smiles at~
I hope you liked my review and if you did, do consider subscribing to my blog. Show some love by liking, sharing and commenting your views/thoughts. Let’s connect! Leave your blog link along with comments and I’ll visit it for sure.
Disclaimer: I am only sharing my experience and the products that suit me. The ones which worked for me might not work equally well for you.